Monday, October 5, 2009

Gosh! When are you going to update your blog?!?

I know it's been a ridiculously long time sine I update my blog, but I'm still alive and well. Now that I've reached the quarter way mark, life has become more routine and fewer and fewer things strike me as awe-inspiring and blog worthy, but I do have a few updates.

Health. I'm really happy and almost surprised that I've managed to make it 3 whole months with no injuries, illnesses, or other incidents. I've been a tiny bit under the weather twice and both times I got checked for malaria and I was (drumroll please)...NEGATIVE both times. I do sleep under a mosquito net (most nights) and use insect repellant (when I feel like it), but I'm surprised that I've gone three months with no malaria b/c I'm not taking any prophyllaxis. Last summer, when I came to TZ I payed nearly $500 for a three month supply of Malarone only to get malaria after 6 weeks. (And I was way more careful with the whole netting/repellant routine). And the malaria didn't kill me or cause brain damage or any of that. I took four pills, twice a day for three days, felt a little tired and achy and got over it. So this time I decided to save myself some money (and my liver) and just skip the whole prophyllaxis deal. And here I am 5,000 mosquito bites, 3 months, and two negative tests later with no malaria. I feel like throwing a party. The bad news is I'm still a little under the weather so now I'm wondering if I don't have malaria then what do I have? Friends have enjoyed playing "Guess the illness" and have diagnosed me with everything from intestinal worms, to homesickness, to swine flu, to TB, to a UTI (?!??). I'll probably never actually find out since I don't believe in having my blood drawn (ouch!) and blood draws are the primary means of diagnose here in TZ. They just love taking your blood! And the culture is a little different. If you are sick or in pain and you go to the hospital you get NO SYMPATHY. If you complain or show fear at all you get asked "Why are you crying?!?" and told to "Toughen up." So, I'll pass. I'm a little of a wimp when it comes to things like that and somehow I don't think that would mix well with E. African bedside manner. So I'm doubling up on Vitamin C, drinking plenty of water, and hoping it passes. (And yes, for those of you who are wondering, it does perplex me that I paid someone to shove a 14 gauge needle through my tongue but won't tolerate having my blood drawn.)

Safety. In my three months I've also managed to avoid being mugged, pick pocketed, raped, or abducted. And I didn't have to become a recluse to avoid these either. Aside from two small incidents (one where I awoke at 1:30 a.m. to the sound of fireworks congratulating the winner of the Miss Tanzania competition and sleepily mistook them for bombs and one where the bus I was riding in had a head on collision with a truck), I haven't faced any serious safety concerns.

Homesickness. Of course it comes and goes but when it comes at least it's not as bad as the initial dose. Strangely enough, t's usually triggered by food. I'll think of a food from home that I really miss and then I'll think of someone I ate that food with or a place where I used to eat that food and then the homesickness rushes in. It's also triggered by talking to people from home. Getting a phone call from home or slipping in a quick AIM convo is usually the bright spot in my day but often leaves me wanting hugs which are, of course, impossible from across an ocean. But, the good news is that three new things have been taking the edge of the homesickness.

1. New Norwegian Housemates. As I mentioned before, the family I live with often hosts young professionals and students and about three weeks ago we got two more boarders around my age. They're both 19 and they're taking some time off from Development Studies at their university to do some work in the field. They're pretty cool girls and I've already found myself pouring my hearts out to them and exchanging secrets. One of them reminds me a lot of a friend of mine from university (shout outs to E.S. Adams!). So it's nice to have the company of Anglophones within my age groups. Lots of slumber party-ish nights to come!

2. Video chatting! I've been complaining and complaining about the slow speed and unreliable nature of E. African internet but the other day I found a small internet cafe in my area with really fast internet. I'm talking almost American-fast! On Saturday I had my first video chat with one of my bestest buddies! It was my first time actually SEEING anyone from home since I left in June. When the connection finally went through I almost cried. Seeing her perky little face energized me so much. I can't wait to see everyone else. E-mail me for video chat dates!

3. *potential* X-mas trip home. I was supposed to get a visit from a friend around Xmas time but now it's looking like it might not happen but I miss home so much that I might explode. So since she most likely won't be able to bring the home to me, I'm thinking of bringing the me to home. I've started googling airfare and pushing around things in my "budget" (yeah right. lol) to see if I can make this trip possible. Even if it's only hypothetical right now it gets me through. If I actually make it home I could stock up on hugs, and comfort food, and magazines and DVDs. Ohhhhh, even the possibility of it makes me want to jump for joy! I am trying not to get my hopes too far up though. We'll see. So far its looking like something between $1,300 and $1,700 (ouch!). Maybe we should start a "Bring Krista Home for the Holidays" fund?

Work. Work is work. It's ok. My bosses give me a fair deal of responsibility and really get a kick out of it when I "take initiative." So far my project have included everything from writing a situational analysis to starting a monthly office newsletter.

So that's life at the three month mark. I'm still working on taking (and uploading) more pictures. I guess I should sign off with the obligatory promise to update more often ;)
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment