Thursday, June 18, 2009

5 days from Dar!

So... I'm almost ready to ship out. I've gotten my visa, vaccinations, prescriptions, etc., and I've (sorta) started packing. My plane leaves on Monday morning and I'll be there on Tuesday sometime around 1 pm TZ time (7 hours ahead of the U.S.). The flight is somewhere between 19-24 hours. I still don't have a TZ residence so I'm going to stay in a hostel for the first few days and do some house hunting from there.
I've been running around for the last few days buying everything I could possibly need. I've got first aid kits, flashlights, booklights, dvds, hand sanitizer, computer games...the list goes on. I'm pretty sure I've got it all, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting something. Something really important. Something one of a kind. Something I won't be able to get in Dar. Something I'll miss terribly. It's probably just nervous anxiety caused by the stress of having to condense your entire life into two suitcases.
Now that my travel documents are in order and packing is started there's nothing left to do but soak up my last few days in America and say my goodbyes.

9 comments:

  1. Good start! I'm going to miss u. Be safe and make sure u post plenty of pics. Love, DeA

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH THIS IS GOING TO BE SO GREAT

    (i will send the url to my blog when i get it ...)

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always scary waiting to leave but the awesome thing is that you've already been to Dar so you know what to expect! And please, what can't you get at ShopRite? Haha I love you girl, I can't wait to hear about your internship once it starts!
    -Kaitlyn Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah! you put your blog up! that's so exciting! i will email you when i make mine!
    safe trip and shoot me an email when you get there and have settled down!
    ags = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woot Woot. Blogging!!! I'm so excited (in case you can't tell) to read about the many sorted adventures of Krista Catherine in Tanzania Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  6. krista i am so stoked to read about your adventures--sending you a huge hug

    xoxo
    ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe it's time already. I am so incredibly proud of you and very honored to see you beginning the next chapter of your life. I will miss you terribly! Take good care of yourself and keep in touch.

    Love Forever,

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man you're going to have a great time!

    One thing -- and maybe you already thought of this -- but bringing a cheap electronic thermometer could save you some unnecessary malaria tests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista!

    Congrats on graduating, and this new adventure of yours is so impressive! I'm glad you're blogging.

    Also, I am coming to Dar on 21 July. We should definitley meet up. Will you still have your same TZ phone number from last year? I will have mine. Ningependa kukuona tena!

    --Marnie

    ReplyDelete